Here's the lowdown about it:
Join adult education professionals from all over the Bay Area at the Bay Section Winter Conference & Excellence Awards on Saturday, February 23, 2013. This annual event will be hosted by the Bay Section at Berkeley Adult School from 9:00 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
We are fortunate to experiment this year with co-locating at Berkeley Adult School on Saturday, February 23, 2013 with OTAN’s annual Technology and Distance Learning Symposium. With adult education legislation being authored by Senator Liu, and the Weighted Student Funding formula nipping at our heels, our organized advocacy this spring will be more important than ever before and that will be one theme of the conference. And of course we’ll have a variety of workshops for teachers focusing on transition program/instructional themes.
The Governor’s Budget proposal to shift adult education to the California Community Colleges probably got your attention. What does this mean for California Adult Schools? How do we organize to respond? Ultimately decisions will be made in the state legislature. What legislation is proposed? How do we advocate for our programs and students? The CCAE Bay Section Winter Conference & Excellence Awards will present information, question-answer sessions, and more importantly, a call to action, as we organize to make our voices heard in Sacramento.
AND in addition!! This year we are co-locating with the annual OTAN Technology and Distance Learning Symposium, where there will lots of high interest workshops on the use of technology.
- Bridging the Gap: Developing Transition Programs for English Language Learners
- Student Leadership and Advocacy Roundtable
- Revamping ABE as the Hub of Transition to College and Career
- Practical Paths to Goals for School and Work: Language and Practices for Students' Next Steps
- Adult Education Publications for Education and Outreach
- Organizing at the Local Level; Advocating for Adult Schools
- Starting from Scratch: an ESL Career and Transition Center in 3 Hours a Week
- Credit Recovery through Hybrid Distance Learning
- Becoming College and Career Ready: Best Practices and Additional Resources for Our Adult Learners
Extra Bonus! We are co-located with the OTAN Technology and Distance Learning Symposium: ePortfolios, Mobile Devices in Adult Education, Open Source for Online Education and 12 (!) more workshops on technology and adult education.
I will be at the Roundtable - so if you have ideas to share about student leadership and advocacy - please let me know by posting a comment here or emailing me at cyn.eagleton at gmail.
In so many ways, we finally have a seat at the table.
Now we just need to show up and speak up.