Friday, February 12, 2016

Credentialing: The Conversation Continues

The issue of how to manage credentialing for Adult Education within the parameters of the new Regional Consortia system is complicated.  It's also urgent because we are in the midst of a growing teacher shortage as older teachers retire, new programs and schools emerge as funding for Adult Education stabilizes, and a housing crisis in many urban areas pushes old teachers out and dissuades new teachers from moving in.

In order to come up with good ways to meet this challenge, we need to hear from a variety of voices. We need to really grasp all that is involved before we settle on a solution we will most likely have to live with for a long time.

Click the "read more" link to learn more.



Here is the original post about the challenge of credentialing.

Here are three more perspectives on the problem:


"I think credentialing is a big problem in California across the board, K-12 and adult education.  I, too, have my MATESOL. Thankfully I have a multi-subject credential as well, since I used to teach in K-12 education. That’s how I was able to get my job at the adult school.  However, I have to either take an expensive test or take 6 expensive courses in ESL in order to KEEP my credential after July 2018.  All this, even though I have a Master degree in TESOL.  I wonder if the credentialing committee makes all these demands for the money.  The tests for credentials and authorizations are expensive, as well as the courses."  -- Kelly Underwood Rozmus (shared with permission through email)


"As someone that has a foot in both worlds, I know that the bigger problem is pay. Last year at a conference, I was one of the youngest educators--I am 47. We need better pay." -- Gaylynne Deborah Hudson (shared with permission through Facebook)

"It is important to remember that AE is not just ESL. There needs to be a way to drill down and look at qualifications on a case by case basis. I, for one, do not believe teachers with K12 credentials should automatically be able to teach classes designed for adults. We also need to have some minimum measurement, though."  -- Gaylynne Deborah Hudson (shared with permission through email)


"And what about those of us whose Ryan credential ran out after we were forced to take retirement when the Adult Ed programs imploded? I couldn't find any positions open (in SoCal) after I was laid off so I took retirement and taught privately. Now if I wanted to get back in, would I have to start the credential process all over again?"  --- (posted on Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment